Monday 7 July 2014

Lemon and Poppyseed Cupcakes

I know, I know. I'm a terrible person. I haven't blogged for over a month and the irony is, I've been baking like a mad thing.

Mostly brioche. Industrial quantities of it. Don't ask.

So by way of appeasement I am offering you this lemon and poppyseed cupcake recipe.

This was yet another recipe where I opened a trusted recipe book, looked at the recipe and thought: Nah, I'm not going to do it like that. Having been an obsessive baker for going on three years now, I often think I know better than the meticulously researched books I look to for inspiration.

I'm not always right, but you win some, you lose some and with cakes, you can usually eat the evidence.

So I decided that a blend of light brown soft sugar and caster sugar would make these cakes more interesting, as would poppyseeds, some natural yoghurt and more lemon juice than the recipe dictated.

This recipe makes 16-18 small cupcakes, 12 muffins. Here you go, enjoy:

You will need:
1 tsp crushed cardamom seeds, pods removed
200g butter
3 eggs
50g plain flour
200g self raising flour
100g light brown soft sugar
100g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp natural yoghurt
2 tbsp poppyseeds
zest of one lemon

To glaze:
125g icing sugar
2-3 tbsp lemon juice
handful of mixed candied peel (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 180C and line a muffin tray with paper cases.

2. Beat together the butter, caster sugar and brown sugar, then beat in the eggs one by one, adding a little of the plain flour with each to prevent the mixture curdling.

3. Beat in the lemon juice, zest, poppyseeds, yoghurt, cardamom and then sift and fold in the self raising flour.


4. Distribute evenly between cases and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and the tops spring back when pressed lightly.



5. Set aside to cool. When completely cooled, beat together the lemon juice and icing sugar and drizzle over the cakes, then scatter over the mixed peel before the icing sets.


6. Devour.

These were very much appreciated in the office and in fact the boss had two and said he'd buy me a coffee.

He never did and now has to suffer me radiating silent resentment whenever he passes.

Judging by his complete lack of a reaction, he hasn't noticed.



I'll write again sooner this time, I promise.

Bye bye bakelings,

Ellie
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment