Thursday 12 May 2016

Goat's Cheese and Caramelised Onion Pizza

The pizza recipe I am about to share with you came about almost by accident.

It was invented in an attempt to use up an old jar of caramelised onion chutney, but it was so good, I had to buy another jar of chutney to make it again.

I was making pizzas for a party I was having a few days before my birthday.

The theme of the party was togas, so I thought it was only fitting that I should make pizzas. I had planned to make the pizza dough from scratch, but managed to go out for a run without my keys, meaning I was locked out of the flat until my long-suffering flatmate returned in the evening.

Luckily my long-suffering boyfriend was on hand to help and I ended up going to his house for a while. But without access to the kitchen for several hours, it was obvious I wasn't going to have time to make pizza dough.

So we bought six plain pizza bases at the supermarket and topped them with passata and various other things - roasted veg, artichoke hearts, posh ham, salami, feta - you get the idea.

But the triumph of the evening was the caramelised onion and cheese pizza, which was also sprinkled with walnuts.

So as soon as I had an opportunity, I made it again, making the dough myself and managing not to lock myself out this time.


It is really good. Tom (aforementioned long-suffering boyfriend) and I ate it in the park with roasted vegetables.

Although taking the pizza to work and then microwaving it made the base a bit soft and soggy, I can assure you it is very crisp when eaten straight out of the oven. Just be careful not to burn yourself!

The topped pizza also freezes well, if slid into the freezer on a plate or baking tray. When it's solid just take it off the plate or tray and clingfilm it.


The dough recipe makes enough for two small pizzas, but the topping makes enough for one, so double it if you're topping both pizzas at once.

You will need:

For the dough:
225g strong white bread flour
half a tsp dried active yeast
half a tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil
125ml warm water
base of 8 inch cake tin or baking tray that is 8 inches across

For the topping:
3 tbsp passata
3 tbsp caramelised onion chutney
180g soft fresh goat's cheese (preferably without a rind)
handful of walnuts, roughly chopped

1. Mix the yeast into the water, cover and leave for five minutes, then stir to dissolve. Mix the salt and flour together in a large bowl and make a well in the middle.

2. When the yeast has dissolved, stir the olive oil into the water and pour it into the well. Stir just enough flour into the liquid ingredients to make a paste, then cover and leave for 20 minutes.

3. Mix the rest of the flour into the liquid ingredients, then turn out onto a clean, lightly floured work surface and knead for about five minutes until smooth and elastic. Put in an oiled bowl, clingfilm the bowl and leave for one and a half to two hours until doubled in size.

4. Knock back the dough by pressing on it lightly until it deflates, then knead again until smooth. Roll it into a ball and put it back in the bowl. Cover and leave for 30 minutes to an hour until risen again.

5. Preheat the oven to 230C. Divide the dough into two equal parts and roll one part out until 8 inches across.


6. Put the rolled out dough on the baking tray or cake tin base and put the passata on top, spreading with the back of a spoon. Do the same with the chutney and then break up the goat's cheese and sprinkle it over the pizza.


7. Bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes depending on your oven and how crisp you like your pizza. Five minutes before the pizza finishes cooking, sprinkle the walnuts over.


8. Eat with roasted veg or a nice green salad.

This is so tasty, and such a simple recipe too. Just don't lock yourself out while making the dough.

Happy baking,

Ellie
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment